- No rider needs to own a horse.
- Classes are offered in four ability levels: beginner, novice, intermediate, open. Any combination of ability levels on a team is permissible, but it is advantageous to have at least one rider in every class to be competitive as a team.
- Riders in grades 6-8 are eligible for Middle School Teams while riders in grade 9-12 compete at the High School level.
- Points are tracked for individual rider accomplishments AND for overall, team accomplishments. Individuals and teams earn points to qualify for regional, zone and national finals.
- Teams take turns hosting horse shows throughout the season. New teams are NOT required to host any shows. Second year teams are required to co-host at least one show. Teams in their Third year or additional years must host one show or co-host two shows per year.
- The competition season starts September 1st and ends at the National Finals in late spring / early summer.
- Students ride horses that are furnished by the host barn and chosen by random draw. The use of personal tack is not allowed and limited schooling is permitted. This equalizes competition variables and tests the horsemanship of the contestants.
- Riders can earn scholarships and Varsity Riding Letters.
Cantera IEA Team
IEA Membership $60 for one school year
Cantera Membership $40 for one school year
Practices will be once a month ($35) and participation is not required, however, all team members must be enrolled in weekly lessons through Cantera.
Show entry fees are not to exceed $40 a class and riders will only be eligible to participate in two classes max.
Coaching fees will be $30 a day per student.
Any travel related costs will be divided up amongst those showing. This could include gas, hotels, food, etc.
'17-'18 Show Schedule
Sept 16th & 17th @ Quarry Ridge in Battle Ground, WA
Sept 30th & Oct 1st @ Lake WA Saddle Club in Bellevue, WA
Jan 13th & 14th @ Cowlitz Co Fairgrounds in Longview, WA
Feb 3rd & 4th @ Lynden Fairgrounds in Lynden, WA
March 10th Zone Finals @ Grays Harbor Fairgrounds in Elma, WA
April 20th - 22nd IEA Nationals in Syracuse, NY
Be sure to come to one of the interest meetings or email Sydney at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.